Because everyone was a touch sunburned and we slept in today, we decided to do a little shopping on the island. There's several shops that specialize in cute island clothes, cute t-shirts, boxes covered in sea shells, anything and everything you could possibly want on an island vacation. Saying this, of course we came back with several bags between us. Some of them were actually bags of groceries since 4 people who spend the day on the beach seem to develop an appetite. Yes, I don't quite understand the correlation between sun, sand, water, and food. But it's there, I'm sure there's been studies done...
This is a painting inside of one of the shops. The painting was so well done, I felt I was right there!
After a late lunch of leftovers and whatever we could hunt up in our pantry, time for a short nap while we waited for the tide to go out. The best shelling is one hour before and one hour after low tide. Tonight's was at 5:03pm. Around here you really watch the tides so you know when to go. We went back to our private beach where the water was so clear yesterday. Well, today was a whole nother day and the waves were crashing and the water was all stirred up. I suppose that meant the shelling would be good once things settled down. I actually spent more time taking pictures of birds feeding than finding good shells today. Here's a few of my favorites.
The shells are everywhere but you have to find the unbroken ones if you can. That is the trick. Oh also to find ones that are empty! There's a reason there are so many shells on the beach - just in the shallows live the ones still alive. Of course, it's also why the birds are all there! The true 'shellers' look for piles of shells deposited by the waves and will rake through them looking for good ones.
I will take pictures of my best ones tomorrow for you. Still looking for certain shells that are supposed to be found here. It's the hunt for them, you know. I can buy them all at the store for .50 to $3.00. But that's not the point.
Today is a very special day. Today is Ben and Maggie's 7th anniversary! They decided to have a picnic on the beach but here is a great shot of the two of them...
I think Sanibel Island is a perfect place to celebrate an anniversary! Jacky and I are celebrating ours too, although it happens on Oct 30. Happy Anniversary Sweetheart!
Another sunset to watch....each is as beautiful as the last.
My favorite picture of the day though, is this one...
The Great Egret looking for dinner and not minding me a bit!











Lori, I love this blog. I got back to Northfield today at 4:45. Just came to computer and excited to read your blog. It's Great and I really like the pictures! Wish I was there too. Although our trip to Texas was wonderful. I wanted to stay. Look forward to more tomorrow!!!
ReplyDelete