Thursday, October 3, 2013

Surf's up!

Ok, I just wanted to say that. Seriously though, I made Ben and Maggie get up at dawn to go out to Blind Pass. Jacky had been up for quite a while so no need to rouse him. Our objective was shelling - there where we were last night and tons of water fell from the sky on top of us. Today we were hoping for calmer weather and large shells, since this is the beach they are found at. I also found lots of birds. This is the one place where I've seen minnows, several sizes, in schools in the water. Apparently it's a well known breakfast place for waders because there were plenty.

Sunrise at Blind Pass

It was a little cooler this morning and although I found the water warm, Maggie didn't. We spent about an hour looking for shells (ok, I spent half of that photographing the birds), and decided to go back to the cottage and warm up. Ben found the only good shell, a really nice Crown Conch that we hadn't gotten before. I still haven't figured out the prize for bringing in the best shell of the day...

While he was out in the water, I was watching these guys...

This Snowy Egret was a bossy thing, but it enabled me to see that white plume on the back of his neck as he chased the other birds.
This Great Egret just watched that silly Snowy. He thought about taking the minnow ole Bossy got once but the Snowy was too quick for him.

I believe this is a Juvenile Great Blue Heron. He wasn't as excited to have me close.

 

After we got back to the cottage, we had breakfast and tried to figure out what to do for the day. These cottages have free bikes to ride with wonderful bike paths all over the island. So we decided to head out down the road -

We rode right past Ding Darling Refuge but the gates were still up. I wish we could have ridden our bikes on their bike trail though! Here is a little gazebo set up for bike riders to rest and get a drink of water. It sits off of the road but overlooks the Refuge.

 

Here is the only wildlife I could see inside the Refuge....tadpoles!

We were all getting a little hot so we stopped at Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grill for lunch and a drink. Maggie and I had the Hurricane Allie (!), Jacky had a beer, and Ben a Mojito.

 

Bike riding in 88 degree heat and the same humidity is thirsty work! Doc Ford's also had the best fish sandwich I have ever had. Definitely should stop there if you're ever in the area.

I'm going to post this and maybe do a short one tonight. There's too many pictures I want to put up!

Banded Tulip Shells

 

No comments:

Post a Comment